Sunday, May 28, 2023

Hiatus (2009-2021)

May 28, 2023

I don't know if hiatus is the right word, but I definitely stopped writing for a very long time.  Or at least stopped writing in my journals of poetry.  There's a huge gap - from January 2009 to pretty much January 2021.  I can't imagine I didn't write at all during these years, but I haven't "found" it in a lost journal and my random musings on sheets of paper are also "lost."

There are a few reasons for this, top of which is life: marriage, work, kids, family, etc. 

Or maybe while I discovered these new facets of my identity, I lost touch with old, reliable ones.  
Maybe it was the pandemic or other deep experiences I had, but writing found its way back to me.  A new journal, new entries, not as frequent as they used to be, but an old comfort that was very much needed.  

I've debated for some time now if I should bother putting up some of my new stuff.  I have gone back and put up some of my old stuff, sliding it in chronologically where it belongs.   A lot of my writing is deeply personal, not shared with anyone, but the 'anonymity' of the internet gives me some separation from my identity here and my life.  (Any posts you see dated 2020 to today were published after this post, but dated to the day they were written.)

Writing is cathartic for me: an opportunity to clear my head, put my thoughts down whether they make sense or not.  At the very least they make sense to me. 

If you've read this, or any of my poetry, thank you.  You've been given a glimpse into my head and also my heart.  Some of my posts on here go back to when I was in high school.  I've changed a lot since then, grown a lot, and hopefully my writing reflects that.  From a headstrong, young girl, naïve and hopelessly romantic trying to make sense of the world.....to a headstrong, middle-aged woman, a practical (and still somewhat hopeless) romantic, a little wiser and yet still making sense of the world...this is who I am and these are my words....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home